When you have dozens of meetings and projects on your schedule, packing yourself a healthy lunch for work each day is one of the first tasks to be nixed from your to-do list. A little meal prep ahead of time, like making these rice bowls, can save you from a week of unhealthy take-out and sad vending machine lunches. Rice bowls are great lunches to pack ahead of time because they’re simple to assemble and contain the fuel you need to power through your day. They are also very customizable, so people who don’t like eating the same thing every day can will look forward to digging into a different flavor combination.
Don’t spend another dollar on an unsatisfying sandwich from the cafeteria or corner store again. Instead prep the rice bowls below for filling, nutritious and delicious work lunches all week long: Fuel your day with a teriyaki salmon rice bowl!
Teryaki Salmon Bowl
You know that regularly eating fish is important for your diet, but how often do you actually make a meal with seafood? Increase your intake by making this easy teriyaki salmon bowl ahead of time, which contains heart-healthy omega-3 fatty acids that also support your immune system as well as your skin, hair and nails.
(Makes two rice bowls.)
- 2 salmon fillets
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoons hoisin sauce
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic
- 1 package white rice
- 3 tablespoons sliced green onion
- 1/2 cup baby corn
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees and brush a baking sheet with cooking oil.
2. In a small bowl, whisk together soy sauce, hoisin sauce, honey and garlic. Arrange salmon fillets on baking sheet and brush with sauce.
3. Cook salmon fillets until they begin to flake, about 30 minutes.
4. Equally divide the rice into two airtight containers. Add a cooked salmon fillet to each, followed by half the green onion and baby corn. Secure the lids and store in refrigerator until ready to eat.
Vegan Wild Rice Burrito Bowl
This rice/burrito bowl hybrid from the lifestyle blog ExSloth is a satisfying meal for both vegans and those looking to add some more veggies to their diet. It features a light and delicious dressing for an extra burst of Southwestern flavor to spice up your lunchtime.(Makes two burrito bowls.)
For the dressing:
- 1 1/2 cups almond milk, unsweetened
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 ripe avocado, diced
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro
- 2 small cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 teaspoon lime zest
- 1/2 teaspoon each salt, ground pepper, ground cumin and chili powder
The burrito bowl:
- 3 cups iceburg lettuce, chopped
- 1 cup cooked wild rice
- 4 tablespoons salsa
- 4 tablespoons corn
- 4 tablespoons re-fried beans
- 1/2 avocado, sliced or diced
- Roasted chickpeas
1. Make the dressing by mixing together ingredients in a blender until smooth.
2. Add the rice and lettuce to two airtight containers, then add toppings. Drizzle with the dressing, secure lids and refrigerate until ready to eat.
Don’t settle for another boring work lunch – make-ahead meals can brighten your day!
Mediterranean Chicken Rice Bowls
With this Mediterranean Chicken Rice Bowl from the blog Gimme Delicious, you never have to settle for a boring desk lunch again! That’s because it’s filled to the brim with a variety of fresh, wholesome and flavor-packed ingredients that will brighten up any day. With marinated grilled chicken, creamy hummus and fresh Greek salad, this rice bowl is truly a meal in itself! Follow the recipe here to make four delicious rice bowls that will last you all week. While the recipe features homemade hummus, you can also substitute your favorite variety to make the meal prep even easier.