If your desk lunch consists of a bag of chips and an apple, it’s time to switch things up. Not only does that meal – if you can call it that – do nothing to brighten up your day, it also won’t give you the fuel you need to help you overcome that 3 p.m. energy slump – not to mention won’t help you keep on track with your diet goals.
We believe all lunch breaks deserve a delicious & nutritious meal packed fresh inside one of these insulated lunch bags. Be sure to wash everything down with some ice cold water in a 20 ounce Tritan Water Bottle.
Your lunch break is a chance to unwind and refresh, so don’t squander it with a sad lunch! Instead, make the three creative sandwiches below to bring to work. They’re colorful, flavorful and fresh, giving you a boost even on the most frazzled of days.
1. Fajita Chicken Sandwich
If a burrito with extra guac from the neighborhood Mexican place has become a daily lunchtime staple, this Fajita Chicken Sandwich inspired by the blog Dinner at the Zoo is just what you need to add some excitement to your break. Seasoned chicken, juicy peppers and onions and Monterey Jack cheese are layered on a baguette for a fun take on the fajita. Eat straight from the office fridge, or toss it in the toaster oven for a few minutes before digging in. Ingredients (Makes 1 sandwich):
- 1/4 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup yellow bell pepper, sliced
- 1/4 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon lime juice
- Salt and pepper
- 4 ounces cooked chicken, cut into thin slices
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- Dash garlic powder
- Dash fresh cilantro, finely minced
- 1/4 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 baguette
- Heat olive in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and peppers and season with salt and pepper. Cook for 3-5 minutes or until vegetables begin to soften.
- Add the chicken to the pan, toss with cumin, garlic and cilantro, and heat for 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Add lime juice and stir.
- Cut baguette in half, then top with chicken and pepper mixture and cheese. Add other slice of bread and enjoy.
2. Turkey, Balsamic Peach and Goat Cheese Sandwich
This recipe takes a basic turkey sandwich and kicks it up a notch. Peach slices soaked in balsamic bring a refreshingly sweet touch that’s nicely contrasted by the creamy goat cheese. Unpack this sandwich at lunch, and your work problems will feel miles away. Ingredients (Makes 1 sandwich):
- 1/2 cup fresh peach slices
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 3 ounces sliced deli turkey
- 2 ounces goat cheese
- Handful of arugula
- 2 slices hearty white or whole-grain bread
- Place peach slices in a small bowl and add balsamic vinegar. Toss to coat peaches, then let sit for 10 minutes.
- Assemble the sandwich by placing the turkey on a piece of bread, followed by the peaches, goat cheese and arugula. Top with other slice of bread and enjoy.
3. Green Goddess Sandwich
If you’re a fan of green juices and smoothies, you’ve got to try this nutrient-packed and picture-perfect sandwich from The Bojon Gourmet. Assembled with green ingredients in a variety of hues, it’s almost too pretty to eat. But make sure you do, because it tastes as good as it looks, helped by a delicious herb mayo. Lunchtime just got a whole lot more vibrant! The recipe includes steps for making pickled spring onions yourself, but you can also buy yours from the supermarket. Ingredients (Makes 1 sandwich):
- 3/4 tablespoon finely minced basil leaves
- 3/4 tablespoon finely minced tarragon leaves
- 3/4 tablespoon finely minced chives
- 1/2 garlic clove
- 1/2 anchovy fillet
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- Dash lemon zest
- Dash salt
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise (look for a variety made with olive oil)
- 2 slices white bread
- 1/4 small, ripe avocado, sliced
- 1 slice fresh mozzarella
- 2 slices green zebra tomato (or other heirloom variety)
- 3-4 cucumber slices
- Several slices pickled spring onion
- Handful of sprouts, rinsed and dried
- Couple butter lettuce or romaine lettuce leaves, rinsed and dried
- Make the mayonnaise by combining all ingredients except for the lemon juice in a food processor. Purée smooth, about 2 minutes. Blend in the lemon juice, and then chill until needed.
- Toast the bread and spread both slices with the mayonnaise. Top with avocado, mozzarella, tomato, cucumber, pickled onion, sprouts and lettuce. Add other slice of bread and enjoy.
A delicious and creative lunch gives you the fuel you need and can brighten your workday. Share with us below in the comments what your favorite go-to sandwiches consist of, or if you’ve tried one of these recipes!