A warm bowl of chili can make the winter blues go away with one spoonful. If you’re trying to watch your carb intake, you can still make a variety of flavorful chilis to enjoy on cold, snowy days without a heavy carb content.
Try the three tasty recipes below – make them ahead of time then pack in Fresh & Fit containers for enjoying throughout the week:
1. Low-Carb Kickin’ Chili:
Add some heat to your winter with this fiery low-carb chili from Peace, Love and Low Carb.
2 1/2 pounds ground beef
1 red onion, chopped
4 tablespoons minced garlic
3 large celery stalks, diced
1/4 cup pickled jalapeno slices
6 ounce can tomato paste
14.5 ounce can tomatoes and green chilies
14.5 ounce can stewed tomatoes with Mexican seasoning
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
4 tablespoons chili powder
2 tablespoons cumin
2 teaspoons sea salt
1/2 teaspoon cayenne
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 bay leaf
1. Heat slow cooker on low setting.
2. To a large skillet over medium-high heat, add ground beef, half chopped onion, 2 tablespoons minced garlic, salt and black pepper. Once beef is browned, drain grease from pan.
3. Transfer beef mixture to slow cooker. Add remaining onion, garlic, celery, jalapenos, tomato paste, tomatoes and green chiles with liquid, stewed tomatoes with liquid, Worcestershire sauce, chili powder, cumin, salt, cayenne, garlic powder, onion powder, oregano, black pepper and bay leaf.
4. Stir into all ingredients are combined. Cook on low 6-8 hours.
2. Paleo White Chicken Chili:
Hearty and flavorful while still low on carbs, add this delicious recipe from A Spicy Perspective to your winter menu. Clever ingredients like arrowroot powder, a starch derived from a tropical plant, and coconut milk add healthy extra flavor.
1.5 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into small pieces
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 onion, diced
1 bell pepper, seeded and chopped
1-2 jalapenos, seeded and diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 teaspoons salt
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon coriander
4 cups chicken broth
2 7-ounce cans green chilies
3 tablespoons thick canned coconut milk
3 tablespoons arrowroot powder
Chopped green onions and cilantro for garnish
1. Add oil, onions, peppers, jalapeno and garlic to a large pot over medium-high heat.
2. Sauté for 5 minutes, then add chicken, salt and spices. Continue sautéing until the chicken is almost cooked through. Add the broth, green chilies and coconut milk. Whisk in arrowroot powder and bring to a boil.
3. Lower the heat and simmer for 20 minutes. Using a potato masher, break the chicken into shredded pieces. Top chili with green onions and cilantro.
3. Southwestern Low Carb Turkey Chili :
Add some smoky-chipotle Southwestern flavor to your diet along with lean protein with this low carb turkey chili from Drop the Sugar.
1 pound ground turkey
2 tablespoons butter
1 onion, diced
1 red bell pepper, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon Mexican oregano
1 1/2 teaspoons chipotle powder
1 1/2 tablespoons cumin
1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
1 tablespoon cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon Himalayan salt
3 ounces tomato paste
1 1/2 cups turkey or chili broth
1 can tomato and green chile mix
1/2 cup diced carrots
1. Brown turkey in a large pot over medium heat, stirring to continually to crumble. Remove turkey from pan and set aside.
2. Heat butter over medium heat in the pot. Add onion, red bell pepper, garlic and carrots. Cook for 3-4 minutes.
3. Stir in oregano, chili powder, cumin, cocoa, tomato paste and salt.
4. Return turkey to pan along with 1 can tomato and green chile mix and broth. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to simmer.
5. Partially cover and simmer for 1.5 hours until done.